The concept of the 9 box grid is very much successful in terms of providing organisations with multiple benefits because it is one of the most commonly used models in terms of assessing the performance of the employees in the organisations. The best part of this particular system is that it is very easy to use and will be ensuring consistent treatment of employees across different kinds of groupings of performance without any kind of issue.
The 9-box grid will be capable of providing people with the framework in terms of assessing the employee performance and enable the succession planning of the organisations very successfully by perfectly mapping out the employees against different kinds of scenarios of current performance and future potential.
The vertical axis of this particular system will be indicating the growth potential and will be referred to as the individual’s potential of growing into leadership roles and the horizontal axis in this particular case will be representing the current performance of the employees and identifies whether they are below, beating or exceeding the performance expectations. 9 box grid will be very much successful in terms of resulting from the relationship between the potential and performance very well and following are some of the very basic points highlighting the purposes of this particular grid:
- Capturing the comprehensive overview of the talent pipeline of the organisations both in terms of within and between the business units so that identification of the critical gaps can be carried out and they can be addressed.
- Determination of the potential, risk and impact of the loss of the current talent without any kind of doubt.
- Identification of the strategies for developing, retaining and working with the client in terms of the current balance
- Enabling the cross-functional and close organisational discussions around the current bench strength of the companies without any kind of issue
- A notification of the potential success is both locally and systemwide without any kind of chaos
- Boosting the internal recruitment systems so that there is no chance of any kind of issue with the vacancies and everybody will be able to perfectly become successful in terms of dealing with the leadership positions.
- Identification of the appropriate target audience for the very high potential development opportunities
- Expanding the discussions on building diverse leadership talent in the whole process.
The 9-box grid will be consisting of the following groups, segments and boxes in the whole process:
- Low performers and high potential
- Low performers and moderate potential
- Low performer and low potential
- Moderate performers and high potential
- Moderate performer and modern potential
- Moderate performer and low potential
- High performer and high potential
- High performer and moderate potential
- High performer and low potential
In this particular case whenever the performance and potential will be assessed very successfully the plotting on the graph will be carried out without any kind of doubt and employees in the upper right area of the things will be perfectly identified as the potential candidates for the succession. In contrast, the employees in the lower-left area will need to be re-assigned or let go out of the organisation. This particular model is very much successful in terms of providing the HR teams with multiple benefits because the determination of the suitable investment from the right talent to the development of future leaders will be carried out very easily and there will be no chance of any kind of hassle in the whole process.
Some of the very basic benefits of utilisation of this particular model have been explained as follows:
- It will be capable of identification of valuable talent in the industry so that strategy formulation will be carried out very intelligently and everybody will be able to remain engaged in the whole process.
- This particular aspect will be very much successful in terms of providing people with the internal promotion systems so that suitable candidates can be considered for all these kinds of opportunities
- It will be capable of highlighting the development opportunities in the long run and will also help in providing people with multiple support levels in the whole process
- It will be capable of increasing the transparency in the organisations and will also help in giving a great boost to open and honest communication without any kind of doubt.
Hence, the adoption of the 9 box grid model is considered to be a very good idea on the behalf of organisations to become successful in the long run and plan out the future succession very successfully.